Monument Park, 2 Division Avenue North
The monument includes portraits and quotes of Lincoln, Grant, and Garfield. It is the first monument to recognize women’s contributions to the Civil War. Dedicated in 1885, the monument’s unveiling boasted a two-mile parade through Grand Rapids which drew more than 3,000 veterans and 30,000 spectators. When the original construction of white bronze turned a Confederate silver-gray, a local uproar led the monument to be painted a Union blue. The restoration and relocation project completed in 2014 returned the monument to its original appearance.