Public Sculpture in Grand Rapids

(Back to Catalog)

Veteran’s Memorial



Artist: Ralph Demmon
Medium: Granite
Dimensions: Two pillars are 35 feet tall and 7 feet wide at their bases.
Provenance: Constructed in 1926 and administered by City of Grand Rapids, Parks and Recreation Department
Location: Veterans Memorial Park, 101 Fulton St E Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Notes: From the Grand Rapids Historical Commission web site: “Names of those who died in WWI appear on eight bronze bronze plaques placed on the sides of the granite pillars. Flowers commemorating their sacrifice are place at the base of both monuments. The plaque reads, "ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF GRAND RAPIDS WITH FUNDS VOLUNTARILY SUBSCRIBED THEREFORE AND DEDICATED NOVEMBER 11, 1926 TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF GRAND RAPIDS WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WAR.”

© 2021 Public Sculpture in Grand Rapids. Catalog database by Index Projects