Public Sculpture in Grand Rapids

(Back to Catalog)

Lucius Lyon



Artist: Stuart Williamson
Medium: Bronze
Provenance: Donated by the family of Peter Secchia. Unveiled December 17, 2008. This is the first in a series of 25 bronze sculptures donated to the city by the Community Legends Project funded and endowed by Peter Secchia.
Location: Near the west end of Lyon Street (named after Lucius Lyon) on the walk along the Grand River.
Notes: Born in Vermont in 1800, Lyon moved to Michigan as a young man, became a land surveyor and was eventually appointed Deputy Surveyor General of the Michigan Territory. He served as a nonvoting delegate to the U.S. Congress from the Michigan Territory and presented the petition for Michigan statehood in 1833. He owned land in Grand Rapids as well as in other parts of the State. Five places bear his name -- South Lyon in Oakland County, Lyon Townships in Oakland and Roscommon Counties, Lyon Lake in Fredonia, and the village of Lyons in Ionia County.

© 2021 Public Sculpture in Grand Rapids. Catalog database by Index Projects